Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Director of Koyaanisqatsi,

The trilogy of films including Koyaanisqatsi inspired me to make films.
The director said
Lets say if I somehow had The Truth, and it was applicable to everyone, the
very act of giving it to everyone would, for me, be a fascistic act.

It is very easy to make clear what you want a film to say, but I did not wish to engage in overt propaganda, even for the right cause. I wanted to create an experience
through the films, something where people could have the freedom of their own
response to them. So, not for lack of love of language, but because I feel our
language is in an enormous state of humiliation, I decided to make films
without words. Now having said that, Iíve taken the famous dictum, a picture ís
worth a thousand words,î and turned it completely upside down. I try to offer
the viewer a thousand pictures to give them the power of one word; in this case
from an inscrutable, uncivilized and illiterate language, Hopi, which I think
has more wisdom in it than our own language, which has lost its ability to
describe the world in which we live. Iíve chosen words like koyaanisqatsi,
powaqqatsi and naqoyqatsi so that I could use their subjective categories to
look at the white peopleís world or ìcivilizedî world. In my case, Iím trying
to look at this world as if an alien appeared and was trying to make some
visual if not emotive sense out of what they encounter.

godfrey reggio
http://www.satyamag.com/aug03/reggio.html